Bucatini with Pancetta, Pecorino, & Pepper
March 26, 2020
- 1 lb bucatini or thick spaghetti
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ozs pancetta or very good thick bacon, sliced ½ inch thick and cut into 1-inch long pieces
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- Finishing salt
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high. Add the pancetta and stir, until the meat is lightly browned and most of the fat is rendered, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low; add the pasta to the skillet and toss to coat with the fat and pancetta. Add ¾ cups of the reserved pasta water, cheese, and pepper. Toss the pasta until the sauce becomes very thick and creamy, 2-3 minutes, adding more water if needed. Taste for seasonings and serve.
Suggested wines: Pinot Noir Blanc, Stainless Chardonnay, Brut Rosé